Food Safety/Quality Assurance Managers abide by regulatory authority compliance for food companies products. They do so by implementing policies, strategies, and methodology testing.
What responsibilities will I have?
- Responsible for the quality control aspects of raw materials and finished products
- Prepares reports on each test preformed for measuring quality, quantity and composition
- Computes formulas, percentages or production specific factors using chemical and mathematical procedures
- Assist in setting quality standards and ensure that production is maintained at such standards
- Sample and identify, if any, bacterial or non-desirable excess material
- Prepare graphs, charts and reports from test results
- Responsible for maintaining the long-term continuity of production and service quality
- Completes tests required for food product packaging
- Keep records of all tests that have been carried out
- Perform quality control analysis including tests and inspections of products and processes
- Maintain the corporate quality manual and quality records
- Review and report the principle causes of quality loss and non-conformance
- Ensure all check sheets are correctly completed and all non-compliance found have had the correct action taken and signed off
- Arrange, coordinate and participate in external quality audits
What education and training is required?
Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology, Food Science, or Chemical Engineering.
To pursue a career in Food Safety/Quality Assurance:
The following high school courses are recommended: agricultural education, biology, chemistry and mathematics.
Food production companies, food chemical supply companies, and government inspection agencies.
Future Job Market/Outlook:
The future outlook for Food Safety/Quality Assurance Mangers is projected to be fair.
Suggested Professional Organizations and Associations:
- Produce Marketing Association
- American Council for Food Safety and Quality
- National Association of Wheat Growers
- American Association of Meat Processors